Thursday, December 24, 2015

Route 4: Use a Different Computer

In the middle of testing out some of my solutions in Route 3 and I realized that there was probably an easier fix.

Just use my wife's computer.

She's not a big fan of me messing with her stuff, so after seeking permission and getting the OK plus a stink eye, I check out her laptop.

Firefox isn't installed.  So I install version 43

Flash is outdated.  I upgrade to version 20

Java is up to date.

AnyConnect isn't installed.  Quickly fixed by visiting the schoolhouse website.

I load up the VPN, connect to the school house and navigate to the certificate trust slide.

It says I already have the certificate installed.  I double check the fingerprint.  It matches what was published in Route 1.

Everything looks great.  I do one more check on firefox's plugins (about:plugins).  It looks good too.

Launch a VM.  Get the black screen for 10 seconds, and the refresh page message right after.

Blegh.

At this point it's pretty clear to me that either this is an operator error and I'm repeatedly doing something stupid, or there is a problem with the schoolhouse.

I've found it's always best to assume I'm the problem.  With no background information, the chances are 50/50 and I'd rather not prove myself an idiot by blaming the school.  I need to go spend more time in the student guides and handouts to see if I missed anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment